Saturday 1 January 2022

NEW YEAR BIRDING WITH AN UNEXPECTED BONUS!

I started my new year's birding with a trip to  WWT Slimbridge. I had read that the forecast was for a dry day so set out soon after 9 a.m. but was then dismayed to experience heavy rain for much of the latter part of my journey. I couldn't check my phone for the forecast but decided to carry on and in fact as I drew up in the carpark, thankfully the rain stopped and as the day wore on, the clouds gradually thinned and it turned out a  pleasant and mild day with an occasional burst of sunshine. 

There were large numbers of birds to be seen from many of the hides, including huge flocks of golden plover, teal and wigeon.  As expected there were a good number of birders also starting on their year lists, which in some ways was helpful as I could hear them pointing out birds that I may have missed!

I managed to achieve a list of 46 birds today, though I read afterwards that 80 had actually been seen at Slimbridge, but obviously you can't be everywhere at the same time! 

The highlight of my day, however, came right at the very end of my visit, when I stopped by, as usual, for a last look at the Rushy Pen prior to returning to my car. I had just slipped into a place by the window when a shout went up 'glossy ibis' and it flew in and landed on the central causeway. It stopped and preened for about five minutes  whilst a flurry of camera clicking went on, before it flew off again.  I had heard that the ibis had been around in the past few days but lately it had been in one of the fields outside the centre and therefore it was a most unexpected but welcome sighting, and one which I had not had  in 2021.



















 








No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...