Monday 3 January 2022

FARMOOR REGULARS AND NOT SO REGULAR

 I paid another visit to Farmoor Reservoir today to ensure the Great Northern Diver was added to my 2022 list. It was not in the same area as last time, and I wondered if it may have left but another birder told me it was  quite close in further along the causeway, and I soon found it; the water was  a lot calmer here so maybe that's why it  had moved. It was giving some more great views and I watched it for a while though didn't see it bring any crayfish to the surface today. 

The female scaup wasn't where I'd seen it before either but I did scan a few tufted duck flocks and didn't find it. Admittedly I didn't walk too far along the western bank as I planned to  go on to Radley Lakes to look for a ringed neck duck ( which sadly I couldn't find, though it was there apparently) .

I did manage to add little and great crested grebes to my list but nothing else, having had a successful 'water bird' day at Slimbridge on Saturday. 

great northern diver



little grebe



great crested grebe




No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...