Tuesday 25 January 2022

PINK FOOTED AND RED CRESTED

On a cold and grey afternoon I drove over to the Cotswold Water Parks to look for some pink footed geese that had been found amongst a flock of   Canada and greylag geese. It's always good when a location is familiar and on this occasion I knew exactly where to go. 

So after parking in the Waterhay carpark I took the path which leads from it then turned left where it was signposted the Thames path. Several hundred metres along I reached a field on my left where I could see a flock of geese in the distance though getting closer I soon realised they were all Canada geese.  However, a further look revealed further away in front of  the hedge were a smaller number of geese, which appeared to be greylags. . Scanning these quickly, I soon found the trio of pink footed geese, with their darker heads and bills, smaller than the greylags they were with. Having found the geese easily, I continued walking until I reached a lake known as pit 82 where a  recently reported flock of red crested pochard provided another addition to my year list. 


pink footed goose, conveniently showing its pink foot!


flock of Canada geese



red crested pochards


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...