Saturday 13 May 2023

GRIZZLED SKIPPER AT MORGAN'S HILL

 This afternoon was forecast to be sunny and quite warm so I waited till after lunch to head over to  the butterfly reserve at Morgan's Hill, near Bishops Cannings to see if I could find some grizzled skippers. It was still cloudy and quite chilly when I arrived but it did look to be brightening up, and, after a considerable wait, the sun eventually broke through. Disappointingly there were few butterflies brave enough to make an appearance but I did see a couple of brimstones,  speckled woods,large whites and to my relief just one grizzled skipper which settled obligingly for quite long periods on dandelion heads. 

N.B. Another white 'butterfly' turned out to be a rather attractive muslin moth, which, according to my guide book, are night fliers, although occasionally females fly in sunny weather. 



grizzled skipper

speckled wood





large white


muslin moth

                                      views from entrance to the reserve


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...