Thursday 18 May 2023

SMALL BLUES NEAR LAMBOURN




This time last year I visited an area near Lambourn where a large colony of small butterflies could be found. So I decided to re-visit it today and see what could be seen, aware that last year's dry weather and this year's late spring, could have affected the butterfly emergence. I parked in a gravelled area just off a B road and then walked up a rutted track  edged with cow parsley and  within minutes I had seen my first small blue of the year fluttering along close to the ground. Another could be seen just ahead and then another  and I realised that there were in fact dozens of these tiny blue butterflies fluttering around at various intervals along the track and verge. Occasionally other species crossed my path, namely orange tip, brimstone and an unidentifed white. I also saw my first painted lady butterfly, which flew past, and stopped briefly, before flying on again. 










 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...