Friday 19 May 2023

NEW LIFE AT SLIMBRIDGE

I  always enjoy visiting Slimbridge WWT centre at this time of year due to the large numbers of young birds on site. The weather forecast had been for cloud from about 10 o'clock but it actually remained sunny for much of the morning, reaching 20 degrees by the time I left ( at 2.30.pm) although on the way home the rain clouds had gathered and I was subject to a heavy downpour  with a flash of lightning and a rumble of thunder. 

I decided to make a change to my usual routine and head for the Discovery hide first, overlooking South lake, the main breeding area for  many avocets which today  had plenty of chicks with them. The other main birds on the lake were black headed gulls. I also spotted a small copper butterfly fluttering about and hiding amongst the grass in front of the hide  which was a first for the year. At the Hogarth hide at the other end of the lake, I could see a pair of cranes, but couldn't make out a chick, due to the height of the grass in which they were feeding. 

 At the aptly named 'Kingfisher hide'  a pair of kingfishers have built their nest in the  bank opposite, and are busy feeding young. although I only saw the male kingfisher  bring a fish to the nest while I was there. 

The sound of warblers could be heard throughout  the centre; I had a nice view of a sedge warbler singing at the top of tree whilst several reed warblers actually perched at the front of the reeds in view of one of the hides. Many greylag pairs were showing off their goslings and I also watched a shelduck family which was swimming right below the bridge where I was standing.  They have the most attractive ducklings often called 'humbugs' because of their colouring. 

I went out on the summer walkway to see if by any chance the recently reported bluethroat was about, but it hadn't been seen and it was quite windy. However it gave me a chance to eat my lunch as I waited. 

All in all an enjoyable day out! 


sedge warbler




barnacle geese

avocet family


oyster catcher

greylag family

kingfisher  zoomed in

coot chick

greylag goslings
Canada goose and goslings

avocet


shelduck family

there were eight ducklings in all





coot and chick

reed warbler




No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...