Thursday 29 June 2023

RIDGEWAY PATH AT HACKPEN HILL

I took an hour's walk along part of the Ridgeway trail at Hackpen this afternoon and it proved a  good spot for butterflies as I recorded 12 different species. My target was to see a Dark Green Fritillary but the area I had intended looking required a walk through a field of cattle, including some young ones, so I decided against that, but  continued along the Ridgeway path. 

There were plenty of butterflies about, despite cloudy conditions at times, although it was warm at 20 degrees. I saw lots of meadow browns and ringlets, a few large and small skippers, common blues, small heath, large and small white, small tortoiseshell and a red admiral . There were also good numbers of marbled whites, and just as I had thought I'd had a wasted trip, a dark green fritillary turned up, nectaring at the side of the track for a while before flying  off over the fields. 

small tortoiseshell

large skipper

marbled white

small skipper

Ridgeway path

meadwo brown

dark green fritillary - rather tatty but the only one I saw



getting a bit crowded on here!





No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...