Saturday 24 June 2023

SLIMBRIDGE AGAIN!

 I paid a further visit to Slimbridge WWT this morning, where I gained further views of the bluethroat and black winged stilt as well as some new for year sightings of a spotted redshank in breeding plumage. 

It was cloudier than it has been lately when I arrived at opening time, but I was grateful for that as the air was still warm enough to leave my jacket in the car. I decided to head straight for the summer walkway where the bluethroat had already been seen well that morning.  As I reached the viewing spot, there it was, perched on one of the distant  twigs which rise above the reeds. The bird showed well, on and off for the next hour and a half I was there, at one point perching slightly closer on a fence post, though not as close as it had been seen yesterday apparently. 

 As the bluethroat showed no intention of coming any closer, I decided to leave and walk back to the centre and see if the stilt or spotted redshank were still on South Lake. It was clear when I entered the Discovery hide that they were present,  as a group of photographers were all peering out of the window with their long lenses. Joining them, I could see the black winged stilt quite close in front of the hide, with the spotted redshank not far behind it. At one point the spotted redshank stood behind its cousin the common redshank which made comparisons easy.

After finding an empty bench where I could sit to eat my lunch, I decided, to go back to some of the hides I'd missed out on the Holden walkway. Nothing of any note was seen, though I did have a nice view of a kingfisher for a few seconds before it dived then made its way up one of the water channels. 

bluethroat



bluethroat and reed bunting

gardens at Slimbridge

shelduck family


black winged stilt








chiffchaff


kingfisher

view over the Rushy


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...