Monday 19 June 2023

BLUETHROAT - FINALLY!

Having heard and seen photos of the white spotted bluethroat that has found a summer home by the Severn Estuary at Slimbridge WWT Centre, and which had been showing very well and quite regularly over the weekend, I decided to go over to Slimbridge with the main purpose of spending some time by the Shepherds hut hide waiting for the bluethroat to (hopefully) appear. 

It was mainly sunny and a slight breeze when I made my way along the summer walkway to join the group of birders/photographers already assembled on the sea wall. The bluethroat had been seen shortly before my arrival and several times during the morning so I remained hopeful. It was probably three quarters of an hour before the bird finally was spotted perched on one of the sticks set up for that purpose, jutting out above the reeds. It was quite distant but clear to see through binoculars. It stayed for several minutes allowing those birders with long lenses the opportunity to gain some nice photos before flying down into the reeds. After another twenty minutes it reappeared  at the top of some reeds for a short time before flying off over towards the estuary. These were the only sightings I had but it had been a 'lifer' for me to see the bird. This particular individual is thought to have visited Slimbridge for the past three years, this year it remined elusive for about a month but then at the weekend had been displaying and perching in full view for lengthy periods of time. Maybe one day a female will come along......

Before leaving the centre, I visited the South Lake Discovery Hide where I  had another view of the  black winged stilt which has now been around for several weeks, and also saw two little ringed plovers to add to my year list. 

black winged stilt

some distant record shots of the white spotted bluethroat







No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...