Friday 1 July 2016

DANEWAYS

I have just paid a visit to a nature reserve near Cirencester, which is known for a recent introduction of rare Large blue butterflies.  On arrival , I soon spotted a few marbled white butterflies, which I had not seen this year, also a few ringlets and meadow browns.  I then notice a flutter of blue, a butterfly landed and quickly flew off again, but enough for me to realise I had actually  just seen a large blue.  

I then spent some time looking for it again, but only found more ringlets, meadow browns and marbled whites. Some other visitors told me they had been advised to look at the end of the reserve as two had been seen  there today, so I went with them but after looking around for a while, none was seen so I decided to return slowly to my car. As the others caught up later, they informed me they had found one tatty specimen! 

Oh well I will add it to my list and have another attempt next year abw! That's the thing about butterflies, some are only around for about a month in every year, so you have to have the right weather and availability of time, to spot them.
marbled white underside

marbled white

meadow brown

ringlet
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...