Friday 22 July 2016

THE GOOD WEATHER CONTINUES...

Another fine day, so I started off with a trip to Webbs Wood and Echo Lodge meadows (first visit). I walked through meadow on the southern edge of the wood, where oaks overhang, scanning them as I went, then suddenly I noticed a small, pale butterfly flitting about. Initially it was too high to identify but then it came down to head height which enabled me to identify it as a purple hairstreak and get a couple of photos of the underside of its wings.  In the meadow were the usual browns and whites, also saw a pristine red admiral but it didn't stop. 

I called in briefly at Ravensroost Wood but no silver washed fritillaries or white admirals around, although, surprisingly I spotted a brimstone. Afterwards, I made off towards Cheltenham to Prestbury Hill reserve, looking for dark green fritillaries ( none seen), but there was a single common blue as well the other grassland butterflies.

On arrival back home, one of the green woodpeckers was on the back lawn.

green woodpecker

Species seen at Webbs Wood: red admiral, purple hairstreak, marbled white, small skipper, green veined white, meadow brown, gatekeeper.

Species seen at Ravensroost: brimstone, meadow brown, gatekeeper, green veined white, small white, marbled white, small skipper. 

Species seen at Prestbury: common blue, speckled wood, gatekeeper, small tortoiseshell, meadow brown, marbled whtie, small skipper. 
brimstone

small tortoiseshell

common blue
purple hairstreak
green woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...