Wednesday 6 July 2016

SILVER WASHED FRITILLARY

As the weather was sunnier today, I made a return visit to Ravensroost woods to search for silver washed fritillaries and white admirals. I was pleased to find about 3 silver washed frillaries, but no white admirals were seen. I met Robin Griffiths who was doing the transect recording, he said he'd just seen one white admiral briefly this year so far. However, he did mention that someone had seen 3 white letter hairstreaks at Stratton woods, so I made a mental note to visit there. 

Altogether at Ravensroost I saw, silverwashed fritillaries, large skipper, meadow brown, speckled wood, ringlet and marbled white. 

A visit on the way home to Stratton wood yielded no hairstreaks but I did see  a  small skipper in addition to the meadow browns, ringlets and marbled whites. 
large skipper

silver washed fritillary

meadow brown

small skipper


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...