Thursday 21 July 2016

PURPLE EMPEROR - JUST!

First day of the school summer holidays and during the morning I heard a racket coming from the willow tree, which turned out to be a family of green woodpeckers. Having been disturbed they flew onto a neighbours rooftop.

I then left for Savernake Forest as I wanted to see a Purple Emperor if  I could, After arriving at about 10 am I found a couple of others already standing around the tall stone column which is known to be a favourite spot for these butterflies as they like to taste the salt from it. The weather certainly was a little cooler than recently, but it warmed up and after about 20 minutes we could see one flying around the top of the oak trees where they prefer to live. Eventually a butterfly was  seen perched on the side of the column,  though  still pretty near the top. I did just manage a photo as it didn't rest for long in one spot. I also saw a couple of silver washed fritillaries flying around but not settling.

I waited around a bit, but it had started clouding over so in the end I decided to go back home via Barbury Castle. Here there were plenty of marbled whites, meadow browns, and a few gatekeepers, small heath, green veined white and just one small tortoiseshell .
long distance shot of green woodpeckers

purple emperor

gatekeeper

small heath

green veined white

marbled white

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...