Monday 26 March 2018

DIPPERS AND GREY WAGTAILS

I spotted my first small tortoiseshell butterfly of the year today, sunning itself on my drive just after I arrived home at lunch time; a reminder that the butterfly season will be shortly upon us. 

However, today I planned to visit a small nature reserve known as Frome Banks, in Stroud, which  starts just under the viaduct close to the Waitrose store, where dippers are regularly seen. I didn't get to see one of these birds last year so I was keen to do so today.

Having parked in the pay and display car park adjacent to Waitrose, I made my way  down a flight of steps to some traffic lights where I crossed the road and followed the footpath round to meet the canal towpath and then to the bridge at the start of the reserve. Water flows rapidly under a foot bridge here and over some rocks, and I immediately caught sight of a dipper on one of the rocks in the middle of the stream. It quickly flew off though as a dog walker passed by, but was almost immediately replaced with a grey wagtail which I endeavoured to photograph, in fact two of them. While doing so, I was aware of two brown shapes flying past, two dippers perhaps. Things were definitely looking hopeful. 

Someone stopped on the bridge and I could see that they had spotted a dipper on one of the large flat stones but it didn't stay for long and I missed another photo opportunity.

Nothing else was around, the grey wagtails had moved downstream so I strolled along the footpath alongside the river for as far as it went before returning to my starting point where I had first seen the dippers.   Determined to see one I then waited for a further twenty minutes on the bridge and  was rewarded by a dipper which seemed to appear from nowhere. It stayed around for a few minutes then flew quickly under the bridge and disappeared from sight. 
Dipper



The viaduct built by Brunel and the footbridge over the river Frome in the centre

view from the bridge showing the slabs where I saw the dipper






No comments:

Post a Comment

SEARCHING FOR SMALL PEARLS AT UBLEY WARREN

  I drove down to the Mendips in Somerset this morning to join a field trip at a place called Ubley Warren, organised by the Somerset local ...