Tuesday 22 August 2017

WOOD SANDPIPER

I had an enjoyable visit to Slimbridge today.  I had delayed my visit until now in order to make the best of a summer land-rover safari, but  also hoping that the wood sandpiper seen over recent days from the Robbie Garnett hide would still be around. 

However, on making enquiries on arrival, I found that the land-rovers wouldn't be operating today on the reserve due to it being too wet! 

Nevertheless I decided to wander around the reserve as usual, visiting all the different hides. Only common and green sandpipers were initially seen from the Robbie Garnett hide. I was about to photograph one of the green sandpipers when there was a bit of a commotion which turned out to be a sparrow hawk, which appeared from nowhere and grabbed it!  However I was assured that the wood sandpiper was still around and relieved that the sparrow hawk hadn't chose it for its prey instead!

I left the hide and returned a bit later on, and was delighted to see the wood sandpiper had made its appearance and gave me a chance for some photos. 


wood sandpiper

wood sandpiper

wood sandpiper

green sandpiper

green sandpiper



Other birds seen today included:
snipe, heron, coot, moorhen, mallard, teal, gadwall, wigeon, pied wagtail, little ringed plover, blackheaded gull, herring gull, cormorant, mute swan, greylag goose, canada goose, barnacle goose, sparrow hawk,   crow,  jackdaw, blackcap, chiffchaff, white throat, goldfinch, woodpigeon, redshank, lapwing, black tailed godwit, crane,
blacktailed godwit

heron

snipe

snipe


snipe


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...