Friday 11 August 2017

SUSSEX AND KENT

I had a short stay in  Kent and Sussex area for a family wedding so took the opportunity to look for the silver spotted skipper at a reserve in Kent as this species eluded me at Aston Rownant Oxon, when I last visited. 

I had seen these skippers at Queendown Warren two years ago, so had a good idea of where they might be found.

After entering the reserve, I was soon aware of an abundance of butterflies, and quickly identified a painted lady, small white,  common blue and brown argus. There were also the usual gatekeepers and meadow browns.  I also managed to see a couple of chalkhill blues and the bright blue adonis blue.  

I had to look hard to find the silver spotted skippers, but eventually found two or three, though none were particularly obliging for decent photos today. 

List of species:

small tortoiseshell
small white
brimstone
silver spotted skipper
meadow brown
gatekeeper
peacock
common blue
chalkhill blue
adonis blue
brown argus
painted lady
Queendown warren nature reserve - a huge area of flowers which was attracting many species of butterfly today

brown argus

chalkhill blue

common blue

adonis blue

painted lady

small tortoiseshell

small white

silver spotted skipper



No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...