Monday 28 January 2019

CATTLE EGRET ... ENGLEFIED

Had a bird watching morning today... at school.... doing the RSPB garden bird count. Surprising how few children know the names of the common garden birds but by the end, one child said to me '' I never knew bird watching was so much fun!"   We did well, even getting a visit by three fieldfares. Not even had them in my garden yet this winter! 

Once home from school, I set off straight for Berkshire, where a cattle egret has been regularly reported in a field of horses. adjacent to the A4 but can be viewed from a convenient gateway on a minor road leading off it. With only room for one car, I was pleased that the gateway was vacant and I parked up. But despite the presence of over a dozen horses/ponies  no cattle egret could be seen!  Frustrating as my daughter had even been to check it out that morning!  Eventually I decided to give up, having to be content with good numbers of winter thrushes, instead!  But as I drove away I spotted a white shape through the hedge. The cattle egret had been there all the time, but hidden from view down a dip!  A closer view from the footpath alongside A4  would give a closer view  so after re- parking,  I walked round the corner where the hedge was low enough to view it, although at a bit of distance. #91. 

cattle egret


fieldfare






redwing and fieldfares

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...