Friday 11 January 2019

DOWN IN THE WOODS

I had a couple of trips to local(ish) woods this week where the bare trees make it a lot easier to locate the species you are looking for. Earlier this week I took advantage of the sunshine for walk in Oakley Wood near Cirencester (known for Pearl fritillary butterflies in early summer) and although unsuccessful in  my search for bramblings, I did find a few siskins feeding along side goldfinches in the alder trees. 


Then today I took the opportunity to pay one of my regular visits to Stanton Country Park, where I clocked up a further five species for my year list; tree creeper, goldcrest ( lots of them about today but mostly high in the trees and still not enabling a decent  photo!), marsh tit, nuthatch and jay.

dunnock

blue tit

great tit

marsh tit

nuthatch

tree creeper

wood pigeon

robin




No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...