Thursday 24 January 2019

COMMON OR NOT?

I've been looking at my birding year list and thought I'd try and fill in a few gaps where I can look for specific birds  locally. One bird that I  didn't record until  November was a common gull which admittedly had to be  pointed out to me by some other birders. So after  consulting a bird book to check out the features of a common gull, I  drove over to Liden Lagoon,  a short drive south down the A419, where  they have been recorded in the past. Although named 'common' , they are not, in fact ,the most common gull, therefore I knew  it would be necessary to look at  the gulls carefully in order to spot one. 

This relatively small lake was busy with a variety of gulls and ducks etc., and I quickly found mallards, gadwalls and shovelers, also moorhen, coot, Canada geese and mute swans. There were also a large number of gulls around; at a glance I  could see they were mostly black headed gulls with a  few herring gulls too but  I decided to scan each gull to see if any one looked slightly different, particularly having a speckled head, dark eye, and greenish yellow beak and legs. 

With the birds fairly still and evenly spread on the water it was not too onerous a task to try and look at individual birds, and eventually, I spotted what I thought could be the bird I was looking for. Unlike the other gulls, it was splashing and preening in the water but definitely had a speckled head, dark eye and no red on its beak. I decided to get my camera out so I could ID it when I got home, but when I looked back on the water it had gone!  I scanned the top of the water again with binoculars then realised that there was a pole  sticking out upright in the water with a bird on top.... the possible common gull!  I now had the advantage of seeing its leg colour and getting a good silhouette of the bird. Year tick number # 87!




No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...