Tuesday 15 January 2019

OUT AND ABOUT

Yesterday I visited Buckland warren, looking  for crossbills, but sadly didn't find any, however there were some good flocks of siskins, and a greater spotted woodpecker was calling from the tops of the  trees. On the bridle way I had some nice views of a red kite. 



Whilst there I met a couple from South Cerney who described to me the best place to see Bramblings, under beech trees north of Cirencester. So I headed over there today, and found the place they spoke of. Flocks of finches were feeding on the country road and I parked up to try and get a better view. Amongst the chaffinches were good numbers of bramblings, often disguised amongst the beech leaves as they searched for beech masts. After a while I realised that they were often flying down to the ground on the other side of the hedge so I got out of the car and peered over the hedge. The birds had found a muddy puddle in the field which they were using to drink from. The light was poor as it was overcast but I eventually managed a few pictures below.
brambling drinking

how many bramblings can you find?





No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...