Saturday 12 January 2019

WHOOPER SWANS AT LECHLADE

It was a dismal day weather-wise today so I abandoned my original plans to go out in the morning,  and instead got down to some much needed housework and tidying up!  However, by two o'clock it had brightened up a little, so  before paying my parents their regular Saturday afternoon visit,  I decided to pop down to Lechlade where, earlier in the week, my cousin  Jon had  had found three whooper swans amongst a flock of mute swans feeding in one of the fields opposite Riverside park. Actually this is on my way to work each day, but on each occasion I'd looked so far, the swans had been distant and I had been unable to find a safe place to stop on the busy A361.  

But being Saturday I reckoned the road would be less busy and in fact I had already earmarked a gateway opposite the field which might prove a good viewing point.
After  I'd pulled up in the gateway, I got my binoculars ready to scan the small groups of swans, some of which were a lot nearer than on previous occasions. I focussed on the first groups, and there they were, yellow bills, brightening up the dullness;  the three Whoopers feeding amongst the mute swans, only a few miles from my home!   



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...