Thursday 14 May 2020

BUTTERFLY CATCH UP

 With some lockdown restricitions lifted I took the extra opportunity to go and find some of the butterflies that have emerged in areas a short distance from home. 

My first location was Oakley Wood, near Cirencester, where I have regularly seen Pearl bordered fritillaries. They are just about the only butterfly I see there, apart from an odd white one so I wanted to tick that one off. It was actually quite cold this morning with a bit of a breeze, so when leaving the house at 10am it was still only 9 degrees, and I wondered if it would be warm enough for any butterflies to fly. One other car was there in the woodland parking area but  it looked as if the occupants were just going for a walk so I  made for the area in which the Pearl bordered butterflies are usually found. Taking the usual path from the main track, I noticed how overgrown everything seemed and I could hardly find any bugle flowers which the butterflies favour. However, I kept on and eventually came to a further path which I followed for a few metres and things became easier, with bugle flowers in bloom. With clear blue skies overhead and sheltered from any wind,  I was looking hopefully round, when I  suddenly spotted an orange butterfly and was optimistic that this was what I had come for, which it proved to be. In all there were about 5 individuals flying about, and often settling so it was good to be able to get a few photos.







With the temperature rising, and still plenty of sunshine around, I decided to make my way over to Rodborough Common a further 15 minutes on. I passed through Minchinhampton common which adjoins it and noticed that there seemed a lot of people about, amongst several herds of cattle which roam freely at this time of year. I wasn't sure whether this would be the same at Rodburgh and as I approached there seemed a lot more cars than on my usual visits. However, being nearly lunch time, cars were leaving and I managed to find a space. 

I walked down toward the area I usually find the most butterflies, checking the hawthorns briefly for green hairstreaks but saw none. I did catch  a glimpse of  a pale brown butterfly which I identified as a small heath, another tick for this year but not much else as it was still quite breezyWhen I eventually reached the sheltered part of the common I made my way down to the bottom of the slope, and here I looked and could see lots of small butterflies all fluttering about, some blue, some brown. By following different individuals I was eventually able to identify a further 7 new species for the year, including two Duke of Burgundy butterflies. Others included common blue, small blue, Adonis blue ( I just found the one on some dog poo!), brown argus, dingy skipper, small heath. I was surprised that I was the only one around looking for butterflies maybe others are waiting for the weather to warm up a bit more, else they are of an age where they need to be shielding!  Although I checked lots of bushes, I still could not locate any green hairstreaks so that's one I shall have to look for elsewhere. A rewarding few hours!

common blue

dingy skipper

duke of burgundy

small blue

small heath

Adonis blue

brown argus


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...