Tuesday 12 May 2020

WRAG BARN



I was re reading my recent blogs and realised I'd forgotten to include accounts of another local golf course in Highworth which I have visited a couple of times. 

This is a pristine golf course, privately owned and is larger than the disused one behind where I live. There are three ponds on the course so I thought that they might provide extra interest for my walking and wildlife recording. 

The path to the golf course  is very narrow in places  where it skirts the edge of a field, but thankfully I have not met anyone coming towards me, apart from one occasion when I was nearing the end of the path so the oncomer could wait in the gateway. 

Most of the plantations on the golf course are new, and although a few butterflies were spotted there didn't seem many birds, although I saw one pheasant and heard a green woodpecker.  The first of the ponds I found, had a coot and a pair of Canada geese on it (perhaps this was the same pair I saw flying over Pentylands last week). At the second, there was the unmistakeable sound of a reed warbler. I sat at the edge and waited but only just got a fleeting glimpse of  the small brown bird flitting through the reeds. The final pond gave me a chance to find some early damselflies and dragonflies. I have not really been focussing on these insects but decided to take a few photographs, which enabled identification as a large red damselfly,azure blue damselfly, and seen but not photographed a broad bodied chaser. Another  green/blue dragonfly was seen, but I could not identify it as it never stopped where I could take a proper look! 


narrow footpath to the golf course

azure blue damselfly

large red damselfly



Canada geese

view from one of the ponds towards  Wrag barn

where I saw the reed warbler

Canada geese

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...