Wednesday 27 May 2020

MORGAN'S HILL REVISIT



The one butterfly species that has eluded me so far this year is the green hairstreak. I have tried to find it at three different sites already this year but with no success.  Being  a butterfly that emerges as early as April, I knew that its flight season was practically over, and if I  was to see it this year I would have to try again now before it was too late. So, with another free morning, again with glorious sunshine, I checked the Wiltshire Butterfly sightings blog and found that a green hairstreak had been seen 2 days ago at Morgan's Hill, a site that I visited last week. 

I knew the area where it would be likely to be seen, and made my way there, spotting a number of marsh fritillaries on  my way and also my first large skipper of the year. I checked the hawthorns and brambles next to the path, hoping that a green hairstreak might give itself away by flitting about between leaves but saw none. 

I then decided to look at some of the hawthorns on the opposite bank, and while there a photographer I have met on other occasions, started to chat, and in conversation I asked if he had seen a green hairstreak. 'Yes, just one,' he said, 'on that  small tree just behind you! '
It would be like looking for a needle in a haystack to scan every leaf on the tree so I had no real option other than to  wait and hope that I'd see a small dark butterfly rise from its resting place on one leaf and flutter over to another. And eventually I saw one leave the tree but it  fluttered  over to a  tree not too far away, although I could not see where it settled.  Hopeful that it might be what I was looking for, I moved over and fixed my eyes on the area I'd seen it.  At last I saw it once more as it flew and settled where I could  set my bincoulars on it. Yes, it was a green hairstreak, rather faded looking, but nevertheless I could now tick it off for the year!

I decided to spend a bit more time seeing what other species I could find, and was pleased to see my first meadow brown over in the quarry area. It didn't settle though, but I expect there will be hundreds more for me to photograph over the coming months!! Other species I found today included dingy skippers, common blue, marsh fritillary, red admiral, brimstone and small tortoiseshell. I had hoped I might find a wall brown but will have to wait another day for that. 


brimstone female

marsh fritillary

large skipper

green haistreak


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...