Saturday 16 May 2020

WATERHAY WARBLERS


I decided to carry out today's exercise  this morning, through a visit to Waterhay in the Cotswold Water park. Arriving at 10.15, the car park was considerably more full than I've seen it before, though I must admit I don't often go there on a Saturday morning.  I hoped that there would not be too many times when I'd need to squeeze into the hedgerow to allow people to pass! 

As I left the car, the first sound that struck me was that of a cuckoo calling, my first this year but hopefully the first of several. I decided to take the path leading to Lake 82 rather than direct to Cleveland Nature reserve, as last year I'd heard and seen a grasshopper warbler there, and there have been reports this year too. However,  their unmistakeable reeling sound was not heard today. A reed bunting was perched up in a bush nearby and also sedge warblers and reed warblers both singing at the same time, and allowing a comparison to be made between the song.  The increased leafiness of the trees, however, made photography difficult..

I left the lakeside to rejoin the main track where some sandmartins were perched up on some wires. I could see a blackcap singing, but with garden warblers having a similar song, I couldn't confidently say whether there were any garden warblers around the area which was a species I had hoped to find. Heading back to the carpark, along the main path, I heard chiffchaffs and willow warblers. It was then I bumped into a friend with her family who are keen birdwatchers. They had their binoculars focussed on a bush at the side of the path and on enquiring, it was a garden warbler!  I could see it clearly through binoculars but sadly the sun was right behind it, allowing only a dark silhouetted photo. 

I have also started noticing dragonflies and damselflies, so was pleased to find a new species, a male banded demoiselle, its  blue green body gleaming in the sunshine.

view over lake 82

reed bunting

sedge warbler
banded demoiselle damselfly


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...