Thursday 7 May 2020

WHITETHROATS AND WARBLERS



As Locksdown continues I have been regularly walking in the local area, but mainly in the Pentylands park area. I met an old aquaintance who is an regular walker and she told me how to reach Pentylands from the south, which meant not having to take the car to the bottom of the hill, but rather taking a footpath from the a gate in the cemetery and walking down through  a couple of fields and wooded areas until you get to the  'scrub' area of Pentylands. 

I have done this on several occasions now, and particularly enjoy the morning walks when the birdsong is at its best. There appear to be good numbers of whitethroats in this area all competing with each other, singing from the tops of the small patches of bramble, or hawthorn trees. I did meet someone who said a lesser whitethroat had been seen in the area but I haven't located it yet. 

Then in the birch trees there is a good chance of seeing and hearing willow warblers and chiffchaffs. 

I am hoping that some of the lifting of lockdown restrictions will enable us to go further afield to explore the countryside and find other species before too long. 


willow warbler



whitethroat


view over Pentylands park from the top of the hill

scrub area favoured by whitethroats












No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...