Saturday 22 May 2021

SANDERLINGS AND SKIPPERS

 







After being more or less housebound, due partly to wet and windy weather, I was keen to get out and about today to make the most of the break in the weather.  After checking the forecasts, I considered that I could take a trip over to Farmoor reservoir in the morning, while it was dry,  and then after lunch, make the most of a few breaks in the cloud to search for butterflies over at Morgan's Hill. 

At Farmoor, it was still fairly cold with a bit of a breeze as I started out along the causeway. The main point of interest was a group of four sanderlings which came within a few metres of where I was sitting on the wall. Other birds of note were three species of wagtail - pied, yellow and grey. The first two were along the causeway but the grey wagtail was down by the River Thames where I understand it has a nest.  Also down on the river were  seven families of greylags with goslings of varying ages!





Sanderling







yellow wagtail

grey wagtail

seven greylag families


After lunch I drove over to Morgan's Hill where  there were a few patches of blue sky but  also large grey clouds overhead. The wind had died down, as I followed the path uphill and across the ridge then dipped down to a sheltered area which is always a favourite for butterflies. 

During the first short burst of sunshine  I saw a dingy skipper,  then checking through my binoculars, found a green veined white, the latter being a new sighting this year.  Shortly afterwards three small butterflies suddenly appeared together, then separated, one of which flew towards me and settled for a brief moment- a grizzled skipper. Sadly I was not quick enough with my camera and it flew off as the sun was once again obscured by dark clouds and disappeared down amongst some grass a little way off where I couldn't relocate it. 

The weather wasn't ideal for butterflies, and although I did catch sight of a couple of dingy skippers mating, the grizzled skipper remained hidden. However, I was pleased to get the sighting for this year.   With Morgan's Hill being a popular site for Marsh Fritillaries, I may return within the next couple of weeks, and perhaps find the grizzled skipper again. 

view from Morgan's Hill



dingy skipper

pair of dingy skippers



No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...