Saturday 29 May 2021

A FEW SURPRISES!

 


Although the original forecast  was for cloud, it turned out  fairly bright with the sun coming through at regular intervals. I hadn't made any plans to go out, but after  completing some gardening jobs in the first part of the morning,  the temperature seemed warm enough t look for my first dragonflies of the season.  I therefore headed over to the Wiltshire wildlife trust reserve at Lower Moor Farm, which has a good range of dragonflies although I haven't visited it very much in search of them as dragonflies are a new interest for me.  

As I walked down the path from the carpark  towards the first hide,  I spotted my first dragonfly. It settled in the hedgerow so I was able to get some photos, although I didn't know which species it was, only that it had green and blue colouring.  I checked it against my reference book  later and found it was a hairy dragonfly, which was a surprise as it was not in the list of species seen  at the reserve. A close look at the photo shows the downy hairs on the thorax which distinguish it from other species. 

I took my time to  walk around the reserve, surprisingly few butterflies were around although I did find a female orange tip and later a brimstone. I explored a few new paths and had a look at the soon to open new visitor centre which looks very attractive  with its position overlooking one of the lakes. The only other species I found were some common blue damselflies and a broad bodied chaser,

I mentioned surprises in the blog title.... when I was in the garden this morning I heard some cheeping coming from the willow tree which sounded like   nestlings, but there was no nest to be seen. I then realised that it was coming from a small hole in one of the boughs of the tree, and I soon noticed a pair of blue tits going in and out.  Some blue tits had   used a hole in the trunk a few years ago, but it has since 'self healed' and is not a hole anymore. Then I realised there was some more cheeping coming from the   cherry tree where I have a nest box. I hadn't noticed any activity  and had thought it wasn't being used this year but  there were obviously birds inside!  It was too close to the willow  tree to be another pair of blue tits, so I waited around and  eventually saw great tits going in. It's the first time great tits have used that particular nest box. 

 hairy dragonfly


broad bodied chaser

female orange tip

new visitor centre at Lower Moor

path by a brook alongside a flower meadow

blue tits' nest hole in willow tree




No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...