Thursday 27 May 2021

MORGANS HILL AND CHERHILL DOWNS



With sunshine and warm temperatures today I headed over to a couple of chalk grassland sites to look for butterflies.  Firstly I re-visited Morgan's Hill where, I was pleased to find several grizzled skippers as well as dingy skippers.  I got talking to another visitor, and  having just discussed Duke of Burgundy butterflies, I suddenly saw one so was able to point it out as it was a species he'd not seen before. Although I knew they were found  there,  I've  not actually seen them on this site before but  I found at least 3 today. I  was hoping for marsh fritillaries but only managed a  brief sighting of one. They are usually on the wing by now but I wasn't sure if they had been delayed by the  wet weather.  I also added a large white to my year list at this site which was nectaring on  flowers at the side of the sheltered path which leads from the entrance to the reserve.  

After eating my lunch in the car, I decided to visit another local reserve to see if I could find any marsh fritillaries there. The path up to Cherhill  Down is a steep climb between two banks, but towards the top it widens and the sides are formed of grassy areas which  provide a sheltered area of wildflowers. I caught a glimpse of a wall butterfly in this area as well as dingy skipper and a small blue. 

At the top of the hill I headed towards the tall monument and then took a sheltered path I knew to be favoured by butterflies. Here I found several marsh fritillaries, dingy skippers, and wall butterflies, also some small heaths.  I also saw a green hairstreak which landed for a few moments on the grass. A few small blues were fluttering about but not settling where I could see them, but on the way back to the car, I spotted one clinging to some grass which I managed to photograph. 


large white

green hairstreak


marsh fritillary

wall brown

small heath

marsh fritillary

small blue


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...