Friday 7 May 2021

RODBOROUGH COMMON

 


I made a trip over to  Rodborough Common this morning in search of the Duke of Burgundy butterfly which is now on the wing. I arrived late morning, to allow time for the butterflies to warm up, but although it had been sunny all morning, it was now starting to cloud over. 

I quickly made for the usual spot where there were a few people already searching for butterflies. . My first sightings were of small heaths, and then as the sun  reappeared, a common blue and dingy skipper took flight.  Then someone called out they'd found a duke, but it had flown and he hadn't located although he knew the general area where he thought it was. After a few minutes, the butterfly appeared from the long grass and  after fluttering around for a while, conveniently landed on a stone, which gave everyone good views and photo opportunites. With the sun gone again, it rested there, perhaps taking advantage of the warm surface of the stone, until someone got too close! As it didn't look as if it was the cloud was going to disperse for a while, I decided to leave, having added 4 more new butterflies to my year list. I may be back later on, as there has been a reintroduction of large blue butterflies on this site over the past year so it would be interesting to see if some emerge next month.

common blue - the only photo I could get today

 dingy skipper 



duke of burgundy






No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...