Friday 14 May 2021

SLIMBRIDGE AGAIN

 


I spent the morning at Slimbridge Wetland Centre today, making the most of some dry weather. Although cloudy until lunch time, there was no wind and the walk out to the estuary was pleasant.  The hides are not due to open until next week, but nevertheless the staff have made a good number of view points by  taking down parts of fences so it is still possible to have some good views of wildlife. The centre is also having a lot of redevelopment at the moment, which promises some new experiences and places to explore this summer when it opens up. The new signs are looking very smart. 
 
On the Rushy pen I was able to spot my first avocets, oyster catchers, black tailed godwits and little ringed plover for the year. Many birds are nesting right now,   and there were several broods of greylag goslings already around the centre. From the summer walkway I saw wheatear, meadow pipit, whimbrel and curlew, and heard sedge, reed and grasshopper warbler, also a cuckoo calling. 

avocets

nesting avocets

goldfinch

greylag goslings

As I returned from the hides, I was met by 3 families of greylags!


Little Ringed Plover



Sedge warbler


swallows

whimbrel


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...