Friday 13 May 2022

ALL OF A FLUTTER AT ASTON UPTHORPE DOWNS

 After an enjoyable morning watching the red footed falcon, I spent  an hour or so at Aston Upthorpe, an area of chalk downland south east of Didcot, well known for its abundance of butterflies. 

It was sunnier than in the morning but there was a moderate breeze and I was worried that this might affect the butterfly numbers. On the walk down to the reserve, I met a lady coming back, clip board in hand who I guessed must have been doing some butterfly recording; she told me that there were some sheltered places and plenty of butterflies to see.

Although butterflies were not particularly numerous, I did spot eleven species. These were: small white, comma, brimstone, peacock, orange tip, green hairstreak, dingy skipper, grizzled skipper, small heath, small copper and brown argus (the last two new for the year). 

Some  (poor) record shots are below. 

looking  south down the valley

brown argus

grizzled skipper

small copper





brimstone

looking north up the valley

small heath

dingy skipper


peacock

comma






No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...