Saturday 7 May 2022

MORGAN'S HILL

 I went over to Morgan's Hill this afternoon to search for butterflies, particularly looking for grizzled skippers which on some earlier years seem to have evaded me. 

The weather was mostly sunny though with a slight north easterly breeze. However, there are some sheltered spots  on the hill so I headed for these in particular. 

On the path leading onto the reserve I found a lady photographing green hairstreaks,  she told me she'd seen some wall butterflies but I didn't see any here.  However there were brimstones and orange tips and some small/green veined whites.  

I checked an area where in the past I have found Marsh Fritillaries but it is a bit early for those and I didn't see any. I did find a Duke of Burgundy here though. 

In the quarry area where it was more sheltered there were dingy skippers and a few grizzled skippers too. I saw an orange coloured butterfly flying around, which I assumed was a comma or small tortoiseshell but  when it settled very briefly I could see it was in fact a wall butterfly. Although I saw it several times, it never settled for long enough to get any photos. 


green hairstreak

dingy skipper

duke of Burgundy

grizzled skipper




duke of Burgundy
view from the entrance to the reserve


l

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...