Tuesday 17 May 2022

MARSH FRITILLARIES AT THE COOMBES

 


I've visited The National  trust reserve at The Coombes, Hinton Parva (Little Hinton) on a  few occasions and on my last visit (during Covid), I spotted some Marsh Fritillaries there for the first time. I  subsequently discovered that it was the first year (2020) they had been recorded there! 

Today was a sunny afternoon and with  a couple of hours spare I decided to head over there again and see if there were any there this year too. If so, that  would save me a visit to my usual marsh fritillary sites further afield. 

I took the eastern path leading uphill along the side of the coombe and then headed downwards to the valley. Along the top there were a few Brimstones and a peacock but I saw little else. As I headed downhill I noticed a group of three photographers looking intently at the grass sided banks, presumably searching for butterflies too.  Catching up with them I found they had seen several marsh fritillaries which was good news for me. More fuel saved! 

We found some more Fritillaries also dingy skippers and small heaths then I found a green hairstreak. A blue species also flew past at speed but I was unable to ID it. Earlier they had seen a painted lady in flight  but I missed that one. The three gentlemen  were obviously keen photographers and had latest macro lenses.  They were also evidently very knowledgeable about all things to do with nature and I  learned that one had been watching the red footed falcon just after I was last Friday; another was the writer of an on line nature diary which I frequently read!  The third did lots of work for the national trust and had written several nature books. I was pleased to receive from them some advice on some other good butterflies sites. 

 I felt very insignificant! However they were generous in allowing me time  to take my own photos. One chap even helped me change my  cameras settings and gave me some photo tips! As it began to cloud over I spotted a marsh fritillary with open wings which allowed us to get very close up. It also allowed itself to be gently lifted onto someone's finger and then onto another flower! 

 Marsh fritillary











No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...