Saturday 14 May 2022

THIS AND THAT AT OTMOOR

 I went over to RSPB Otmoor this morning, though had nothing particular in mind to look for apart from a possible spoonbill sighting. Yesterday's breeze had abated so it was a pleasant couple hours in the morning sunshine. I didn't spot the spoonbill but in the area were three greylag families  hanging out together with 26 goslings between them!  

Just before entering the first screen, I stopped outside where various logs etc have been arranged on a bank to encourage lizards; I saw at least 3 here. At the first screen the water levels were high, so there were no waders, but ducks included mallards, gadwall, pochard and tufted duck. 

On the wetland areas were redshanks and little egrets whilst a marsh harrier could be seen distantly. I also heard and saw a cuckoo calling and heard plenty of warblers. 

On my return along the bridleway I looked for dragonflies, and spotted my first azure damselflies; there was also a hawker dragonfly but it didn't stop long enough for me to identify it.  

lizard


little egret


sedge warbler


reed bunting




No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...