Tuesday 10 May 2022

EMERALDS AND PEARLS

 Yesterday I had a walk in the Cotswold Water Park hoping I might see some hobbies flying over one of the lakes. When nearly there I realised had left my camera bag and binoculars at home...aarrgh! However,  I decided to continue as I thought I would probably be unable to get any photos anyway and I had my phone on my camera that would give me a record shot of anything interesting.

After parking, I followed a lane and then turned off left onto a footpath. After walking for 15 mins I suddenly noticed a dragonfly fly across and land on the hedge next to me. It was green and shiny and  a new species to me. I'd read of Downy Emerald dragonflies being seen in the area so guessed that was probably the species I'd found. The dragonfly remained motionless for some time so I was able to take some good close ups on my phone  to use for ID purposes. I later worked out that this must be a male  Downy emerald because of the club shape of its abdomen.

Walking further on I came to the lake and  a sign telling me that this was Flagham Fen where a colony of beavers were living. A hide nearby gave good views of the  lake but  sadly I saw neither beaver or hobby !

This afternoon I had a training session after work so again decided to stay local. I therefore visited the woodland of the Bathhurst estate to see pearl bordered fritillaries. A couple of weeks back I looked for them but it was probably  too early as I saw none. Today however was different.  I saw probably a dozen individuals.  Sometimes I could see as many as 6 at one time. With sunny skies and a moderate breeze they were reluctant to settle though eventually I managed a few photos. 

 



Downy emerald dragonfly



pearl bordered fritillary




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...