Thursday 25 January 2024

DIPPER


I finally found an opportunity to visit Rodborough Common, just outside Stroud where a substantial flock of waxwings has been recorded over the week ( 32+ birds) and I hoped to see them. However, on arrival it appeared that although they had been seen earlier, they had been very 'flighty' and had flown off and no one yet had re-located them. I explored the common for about an hour, along with several other birders, but sadly didn't find them. 

I therefore decided to pop into Stroud and walk along the river bank of the River Frome which is a nature reserve and  is home to dippers. I've been there most years, with varying success, sometimes seeing just one dipper for a few minutes, at other times a fleeting glimpse as one flies past. 

Today I had only gone half way along the path when I spotted the white 'bib' of a dipper on the opposite bank. The bird was doing its customary bobbing up and down standing against the river bank where it was only just discernible. I stopped and it seemed not to see me for it remained there for a good number of minutes, occasionally dipping its beak into the water to retrieve an insect or two. I crouched down for a better view, but then moved to gain my balance and when  I  looked up it was gone! I wasn't sure which direction it had flown but thought I'd continue along in the same direction as before and a little further along, I came across the dipper again.  During the next three quarters of an hour, I caught up with the dipper four or five times, each occasion being able to watch it as it searched for food. Sometimes, it would just dip its head in the water, at other times paddle or 'bathe' , and occasionally dive completely under water for a few seconds before coming up out again. 









dipper is on the branches in the river
















No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...