Saturday 13 January 2024

FARMOOR

This morning  I was finally able to get to Farmoor Reservoir where all week there have been reports of a pair of Knot in addition to the Great Northern Diver and Scaup which have been there since the beginning of the month. It was a cold morning, but no frost and the air was still, under a cloudy sky.

I began by making my way across the causeway which separates the two reservoirs, the knot had been reported yesterday on the western bank which is the opposite side from the car park, but I hoped that perhaps they would have relocated on the causeway overnight, which they had. They were quite oblivious of humans as they scurried along in tandem at the waters edge, picking up small insects as they went. It was good to be able to see them at close quarters - last year's sighting was a distant tiny shape which someone pointed out through their telescope!!  I also saw a greater black backed gull perched on one of the buoys further out. 

Continuing my walk, I stopped to speak to someone coming toward me - they pointed out where the Scaup was and mentioned the presence of siskins near the Shrike hide and a common sandpiper on the opposite side of the reservoir. The diver hadn't yet been located.   I found the Scaup just around the corner then continued to walk in the direction of the path which leads to the hide. A small wader flew past me toward the causeway which I soon discovered was the common sandpiper. I stopped for a few photos, quite relieved that it would save me a considerable walk! 

Down at the hide, a pair of mute swans were feeding beneath the alder tree containing feeders. A large flock of finches flew into the top of the tree, a mix of siskins and goldfinches. It was hard to photograph them amongst the leaves, particularly as the light wasn't good either but it was good to see them there. 

Retracing my steps, I took another look at the scaup and the knot which hadn't moved far. As I neared the end of the causeway I became aware of a cormorant flying at speed and then descending into a dive, resurfacing after a few seconds with a huge fish which it proceeded to try and swallow with difficulty. I don't think I've seen a cormorant dive from the air before, rather like  a gannet! 

Other birds of note included some great crested and little grebes, as well as Canada and greylag geese, tufted and mallard ducks. 

Altogether a nice morning's walk, with 6 more sightings for the year. I didn't find the diver, but apparently it was there so hopefully will remain until my next visit. 


knot






 scaup female


 the best I could get of a siskin!

tufted duck male


 Canada geese

common sandpiper



looking tiny in comparison to the mallards

cormorant eating a fish -it  seemed to be stuck in this position for a while -  I assume it eventually went down!

another cormorant

great crested grebe in winter plumage

greylag goose




No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...