Friday 19 January 2024

FROSTY FOREST BUT BEAUTIFUL BIRDS



 I spent most of today in the Forest of Dean, visiting the usual sites in and around Parkend. It was cold  again so I needed my 5 layers but the frost had hardened the ground making it easier to walk on than on soft mud in some places.

I drew a blank with hawfinches at Crown Lane, Parkend,  but it was rather late in the morning and  the little lane was busy with pedestrians and cars. In between though, using my car as a 'hide', I saw greenfinches, chaffinches, nuthatch and coal tits all frequently coming down to feed on the ground under the yews, 

At Nagshead rspb I walked up to the raised Campbell hide, stopping amongst the holly bushes to see if any firecrests might be about but saw none. The hide was empty but from it I had some nice views of various small birds pecking around the edge of the pond, and a coal tit and nuthatch fed upside down close to the hide windows. I did catch a ten-second glimpse of a redpoll on a branch but it flew off before I could get my camera poised and it didn't return. 

Next stop was Cannop Ponds where I can usually be assured of finding mandarin ducks. The water was frozen to a great extent so I walked along the path around the lake, until I found a few mandarins nestled under some reeds and branches. I walked back across the ornamental bridge and then found a pair out in the open, but it wasn't long before they grew wary and flew off. 

My last visit was for a walk at Woorgreen Nature reserve. I was looking for crossbills, siskins or redpolls but didn't see or hear any. However, I did hear and see a couple of ravens flying across the heath.. 

By now the light was beginning to fade as clouds appeared so I decided to call it a day. Hopefully I'll be back to see the summer migrants i.e. flycatchers and redstarts which are regular visitors to Nagshead. 














view from hide at Nagshead rspb


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...