Friday 26 January 2024

FINALLY A WAXWING AT RODBOROUGH COMMON

 After dipping the  Rodborough Common waxwings yesterday, I decided to return that way home after my visit to Slimbridge, and call in at the common for another attempt. I found a space amongst the densely packed carparks then made my way to an area where they had previously been seen.  There were a good number of birders there, waiting hopefully but to no avail. Then word got round that there was a single waxwing showing well in a  tree a few hundred yards away so most people decided to head in that direction, including me.  The sole waxwing turned out to be perched in the centre of a tree which had ivy growing in the centre. It was only just possible to see it between the many twigs. After watching it for a while the bird suddenly took off and flew toward another tree and here it perched in full view, right up at the top. where it remained for about ten minutes.  Then just as suddenly it took off again, flew over our heads and dropped down into a puddle for a few seconds before returning to the original  tree where again it was partly hidden by branches. 

I decided I would have to make do with the one sighting, and walked back to the car. Driving past the three car parks  you can imagine my frustration when a group of waxwings dropped down in the road ahead to get a drink, before flying off into some bushes on the opposite side of the road watched by a number of birders.  Oh well! 

initial view of waxwing

slightly better!









No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...