Tuesday 7 May 2024

SUNSHINE BRINGS OUT THE BUTTERFLIES AT RODBOROUGH COMMON

 

The first warm sunny day for a while gave me the chance to head over to Rodborough Common to see the early spring butterflies that fly there at the beginning of May. 

I headed down the  steep hillside at the end of the common, to where the butterflies I was looking for, usually can be found. Surprisingly no one else was already there, and at first I could see no butterflies at all. Then a single dingy skipper flew up and then settled on a buttercup.  It was sunny so I was surprised that there was so little butterfly activity. As I glanced around, I caught sight of a glimmer of green amongst the grass a little way off -  a somewhat battered green hairstreak was partly hidden amongst the leaves. Then I spotted a small heath which settled for a short time before I lost it from sight further along the hillside. 

Meanwhile I was joined by another gentleman,  who then started looking closely at something   a few metres away. He had found a pristine Duke of Burgundy!  It obligingly posed for quite a while allowing for some photos. 

I got chatting to him; he had one more species of UK butterfly still to find - the mountain ringlet, having failed to find it last year.  Unless you live nearby it is often the last butterfly to be found, as it entails a trek up a mountainside in the lake district - although last year I met someone who told me he wanted his last butterfly to be the Swallowtail!  This gentleman also  told me about the species he'd seen at a quarry  in Portland, where I hope to visit at the end of the month! 

Another couple came by, and while there we saw a one or two more dingy skippers and another green hairstreak. No common blues or brown argus to be found, however.  

Although I had ticked off the species I had targeted for this visit, butterflies were, admittedly, in short supply. Perhaps  a few more days of sunshine will bring some more. Interestingly none of the people I spoke to today had seen a Red Admiral  yet this year!




green hairstreak



Duke of Burgundy







Dingy skipper



view from Rodborough Common

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...