Saturday 11 May 2024

BUTTERFLIES AT ASTON UPTHORPE DOWNS.

With the target of finding a grizzled skipper butterfly, I drove over to Aston Upthorpe Downs this morning, a valley in the Berkshire downs, comprising chalk downland with juniper scrub. Having visited several times I was familiar with the parking area beside an old barn, followed by a half mile walk down a rutted track which opens out into a lovely valley accessed via a small gate. 

Often it has been windy so I've had to look for a sheltered spot to find the butterflies I'm looking for but today there was little wind.  Along the track I saw several brimstones and peacocks, also a comma which lay basking in the sun on the ground and soon after I entered the reserve, I spotted a small dark butterfly fluttering low above the ground - my first grizzled skipper of the day.  Tick! 

I saw about four individuals of this species in a short space of time, before finding a few dingy skippers and a small heath. Walking further up the valley , I saw two people who had stopped with cameras. Although they had moved on a bit, I soon found what they had been looking at - a couple of small copper butterflies, both very fresh looking.  The lady was standing next to a large hawthorn bush and I quickly realised she was probably looking for green hairstreaks and after a while she pointed one  out to me. We only saw two and already they were looking slightly faded.  On my way back to the car, I found a fresh male common blue which made three new butterfly species of the year during today's visit, bring my total to 14. 



comma

 


grizzled skipper

dingy skipper




green hairstreak

view up the valley



small copper

brimstone

small heath


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...