Saturday 12 May 2018

OTMOOR MORNING

Turtle doves are back at Otmoor RSPB so I was hoping to see one on my morning visit to day. It was quite an early start in order to catch the best of the sunshine so I arrived at 7.30a.m. although the car park was already full. 

I walked up the main track, enjoying the birdsong all around me. Sedge and reed warblers were, as usual, in full voice, although the latter less easy to see amongst the reeds. A cuckoo could be heard in the distance, but sadly no purring of the turtle dove. 

Asking several people I met, they kept providing the same answer.. no, they hadn't seen or heard the turtle dove today. 

On the scrapes, breeding has begun in earnest; there were at least three canada geese families and  a couple of greylags, though doubtless  there were more, hiding amongst the long grasses. I also saw a couple of young lapwing chicks. Other birds on the scrape included redshank and snipe. Snipe could also be heard drumming overhead. 

The sun was intermittent and it began to get warmer, by now it was nearly 10.45 and I started to head back to the car park. Just as I approached the corner by the cattle pens, someone approached me and informed me that there was a turtle dove feeding on the ground the other side of the gate!!    I managed to get a few photos before it flew up onto a nearby telegraph pole,  then posed for a while before flying off  again. It had appeared just in time  and enabled me to put that tick firmly on my list!

common whitethroat



chiffchaff

greylags


canada geese



sedge warbler
reed warbler

reed bunting


snipe

two geese families

lapwing and chick

turtle dove



No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...