Tuesday 22 May 2018

MORGAN'S HILL BUTTERFLIES

Another trip out in the sunshine to add more butterflies to my year lists while the weather lasts. There was a bit more in the way of breeze at Morgan's Hill near Calne, so it was necessary to find some more sheltered areas in order to see my target species, namely the Marsh Fritillary which is just emerging. 

Another birder from Swindon was just heading up to the slopes so I caught up with him and he told me what he thought would be around today. Apparently one marsh fritillary had been seen so I hoped I would find it! 
path to the main part of the reserve


On the path a dark butterfly flew past which he informed was likely to be a wall brown, which indeed it was, although it hardly stopped for a second before moving off very quickly along the path in front of us, where it circled for a while with a second individual and then they separated out of sight.  That, at least, was one to tick off for today. 

A few whites were around and a brimstone, none of which stopped, then I headed off alone down to a sheltered corner where I knew butterflies often can be seen. Here, I spotted a dingy skipper, then to my surprise, a small copper which, before I could get my camera ready, was disturbed by... a marsh fritillary. I hardly knew which to follow, but opted for the marsh fritillary. In the end I spotted at least four marsh fritillaries, which were only too willing to pose for photos, whilst I never did see the small copper again!    There were good numbers of dingy skippers , also some brown argus butterflies all quite active in this sheltered corner of the reserve.
dingy skipper

marsh fritillary





Heading back to the path leading down to the carpark, I found a rather tatty green hairstreak, and spent a while chasing wall butterflies up and down the path eventually one did settle long enough to photograph with wings shut, the best I could manage!


Back at the car park I spotted a couple of common blues amongst the long grass by the picnic area.

With three butterflies added to my list today, it now stands at 21. I reached 46 last year , so with a bit of careful planning I aim to increase that this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...