Tuesday 15 May 2018

A SUCCESSFUL DAY

Last year I saw my first Pearl bordered fritillaries at Oakley Woods near Cirencester, so having had a few sunny warm days, I guessed that they would be just emerging there again this year about now.  I was right....heading straight for the area where I saw them last year, I soon saw a few around,  though very reluctant to land.   I did, however, manage to spot one individual who posed with wings closed, showing the beautiful 'pearls' on its undersides; it didn't, however, show its open wings fully so to get that shot it looks like I shall have to return another day.






Yesterday I didn't get to see the black necked grebe at Farmoor Reservoir, so with a bit of time to spare, I headed over there next. The bird had been seen from the causeway that morning, so that is where I went first. Meeting a couple of people returning, I asked if them if they'd seen it, and they shook their heads. 'But did you go round the whole of the F2 reservoir?" I enquired.   Apparently not. I thought it would be worth checking seeing as I'd come all that way and that was where it was seen on previous occasions. 

Half way along the western bank I spotted it!  Only 10 metres or so from the shore, diving regularly.  No one else was watching it so I spent a little while taking photographs, following it as it reappeared each time  slightly further along the bank back towards the way I'd come. Then suddenly it took flight and flew low over the water a bit further out. By this time I was deciding which was the quickest route back to the car.. and decided to go the way I'd come. 





I stopped off at the corner where there is a kestrel nesting box, looked up and noticed the male kestrel sitting preening itself outside the box. A few photos later, the female appeared at the entrance hole before disappearing again inside. 







All in all a satisfying afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...