Saturday 26 May 2018

BITS AND BOBS AT FARMOOR

There was a good list of birds seen at Farmoor reservoir on Thursday in the damp weather so with a wet morning on Friday I thought it might be worth a trip over there once it had dried up to see what was still around.

On arrival, the orange wind sock was drooping as a result of the windless conditions, and the water was millpond-like. A disabled persons' sailing group had just finished  so I wondered if that would affect the birds present.  The twenty or so black terns from Thursday had vanished, though I was pleased to spot a single sanderling and a couple of dunlins on the causeway. The greylag goslings are also growing quickly and there was another brood of mallards on the water. 

I ventured down to the Pinkhill hide, where there was just a heron and a coot to be seen, then wandered down to the river where a reed warbler came into full view at quite close proximity to where I stood. 

I got into conversation with someone who told me how to get to a second hide on the site, which I visited, only a few mallards on the water but lots of  warblers singing in the bushes and shrubs surrounding it. I didn't stay for long as it was becoming quite humid and there was a threat of thunder showers - which didn't actually materialise -  but it was time to get home anyway. 
dunlin above and below


sanderling

reed warbler


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...