Saturday 2 February 2019

A WALK IN THE SNOW

Waking up to sunny skies, I knew today would b e the perfect weather for enjoying a walk in the snow.   Bird life was minimal on the golf course near to my house, so I decided to get in the car and venture to my local country park a couple of miles down the road. The roads were mostly clear although the access road to the country park was compressed snow from the vehicles which had already used it, however the car park itself was about 4 - 5 inches covered with snow and I was a bit alarmed to see another car being pushed out! However, with temperatures due to rise a bit and the sunshine, I reckoned that it would probably have thawed a bit by the time I needed to leave. 

So I parked as best as I could and set off in the glorious winter sunshine through the snowy woodland. Someone had already left out bird seed so the usual tits and other small birds were much in evidence here, The lake was mostly frozen with a small area of open water in the middle which held gadwall mallards, swans and a moorhen. Gulls stood motionless on the ice nearby. After a while the swans gingerly made their way across the ice to the bank. 














No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...