Thursday 14 February 2019

SLIMBRIDGE WWT

I visited Slimbridge WWT centre again today, for possibly the last time while the Bewick swans remain there. The forecast was for a sunny day, once early fog had cleared but it was still foggy   12.15 pm when I left work. However, I decided to trust the forecast, and by 12.30 I was travelling under a clear blue sky!

Slimbridge was busy with birders, but I was able to enjoy the views from the various hides. The Bewick swans were all out feeding in the fields or on the estuary but started to return in time for the tea time feed at 4 pm.  I didn't see the water rail today, possibly mild enough for it to remain hidden. However, a number of avocets had returned to South Lake ready for the breeding season. I also had nice views of common snipe, but not the jack snipe today.  I stayed until nearly feeding to watch the influx of birds flying in for their tea. 


pair of pintails

Canada geese coming into land

avocet
shoveler



common snipe




dunlin

mostly lapwings

snipe


pintail

Canada geese returning for feed

pintails in flight



Bewick swan and tufted duck

flying swans

greylag

waiting for tea!




a rather ungainly looking greylag!



No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...