Wednesday 6 February 2019

COTSWOLD BIRDING


I visited the nearby Cotswolds this afternoon, after reading reports of large numbers of yellowhammers, linnets and corn buntings near a farm. Having failed to find any in the recommended area, I had just started heading home when, at a crossroads, I  noticed a parked car and, nearby, someone with a long camera lens looking over a stone wall. I was informed he was looking for owls which might appear any time between 2.30 and 5 p.m. ( its was then 1 30 pm!).  I drove  across the junction and within a few hundred metres came across a  group of half a dozen birders, who, on asking, replied that they too were waiting for owls, and maybe other raptors such as hen harrier, buzzard or peregrine which  frequented the site. 

With nothing else planned for the afternoon, I decided it might be worth joining them, so I parked further down the road and had a look over the wall too. After ten minutes or so, I spotted a whitish shape flying low over the field, visible to me as it passed by a gap in some walling, in the direction of the other birders. After walking over to  them, someone  kindly pointed out the short eared owl that I had seen. It was quartering at a distance but easily visible through binoculars. Later a second SEO appeared and even later a third! In addition a barn owl began hunting in the same field. It was a rather disappointing that none of the owls passed near enough for a decent photo ( on my camera anyway!) although other birders of course got some pretty good shots through their long lenses! 

Other birds seen in the area included red kite, buzzard, stonechat, skylark, meadow pipit, red legged partridge, golden plovers, pheasant. There was a also a glimpse of a hen harrier (apparently!)  but not enough for me to ID it!
view over Cotswold wall on to rough ground where the owls like to hunt

short eared owl




female stonechat behind grasses!

kestrel


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...