Tuesday 12 February 2019

FARMOOR

I've not been to Farmoor  reservoir this year  but a couple of hours spent walking round F2  today added some birds to my year list.  As usual I walked across the causeway to begin with, where  several little grebes were swimming and diving fairly close to the shore. Also seen were numerous pied wagtails,  a grey wagtail, tufted ducks and mallards, coots, cormorants and a little egret.  I chose to  go south round F2 as that is where snow geese have been seen on my previous visits, although I could not see them initially. Then  I saw them, a large flock of white birds honking as they circled over the reservoir, until eventually they settled on the water, followed by a smaller flock of barnacle geese. It appears they are a feral flock, disappearing over the summer  months but present from time to time during the winter. 

After a short while, they all took off again and after some more noisy circling, landed on a grassy patch over the other side of the reservoir, to which I was heading.  


















No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...